My mom sent 2 huge packages, so they took a little longer to get here (the second one just arrived 8 weeks after she sent it...I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned that!). The first box fortunately arrived on Christmas Eve...just in time! Our tree quickly became full. We opened their gifts that night when we skyped. The big present on the far right side is our 'family' gift.
I took this on my ipod when it came...the first of 2 huge packages from my mom that filled up the bottom of our tree twice! She's a packing queen!
When we first had Caden, we talked about some traditions we wanted to start. One of them was that I would make cinnamon rolls Christmas morning (and by make I mean pop open a can of yummy Pillsbury cinnamon rolls!). Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of Pillsbury here, so last year I decided to make cinnamon rolls from scratch. They took a while to make, and they were no where close to tasting like Pillsbury. They were ok, but in my opinion not worth the time. Plus, I threw all of it up Christmas night and was sick for a week...blah! I did not want to go that trouble again this year all to throw it up. So, this year I improvised, and we had cinnamon biscuit casserole. It's super yummy and super easy, not to mention it goes with the cinnamon theme :o). Another tradition is that I would make chocolate chip cookies Christmas Eve. Well, we had our party Christmas Eve, and I made sugar cookies...I wasn't about to make more cookies. Once again, improvisation. I'm learning I can keep traditions but tweak them to make life way easier and less stressful.
I had to wake up all the boys...even Britton! It was nearly 9:00am, and everyone was snoozing away. We would have all kept sleeping if we didn't have skype convo's set up.
Another tradition is reading the Christmas story. Caden was still half asleep.
This year, we all pretty much got our gifts early. I got most of Britton's stuff in Thailand while he got me a vanity for our room a few days before Christmas. We got Caden his house on our balcony, and were going to write notes to Grady (like we did for Caden's first Christmas). So, we didn't want to just get a bunch of random gifts for the sake of getting gifts. We decided this year we would get stocking stuff and one 'family gift' (shown in the background of this picture). We started with stockings. I found this cool expandable thing at our corner store that I thought Caden would love and Britton would love to fidget with. I was right.
He also got some cookies, gummies, and crackers.
Our family gift was a bowling set. Caden's at a good age now to start learning how to play games, so we thought it'd be great to get this. He seems to like it.
Almost a strike!
He mostly prefers just to knock over the pins with his hands instead of the ball. That is my son. You can see our stockings well in this picture.
Grady seemed to enjoy his first Christmas. He just kept smiling at me like I was the greatest gift to him. Precious moments...hold on tightly.
He got so happy that he wore himself out and went to sleep :o) Baby's 1st Christmas.
Here's a picture from my ipod of the vanity Britton got me. It's so nice not to have to sit on the floor or the bed or the toilet to get ready anymore! I love it.
This wasn't Christmas day, but the pj's were intended for Christmas Day (they came in my mom's 2nd package). She gave us these pj's last year, but she sent a bigger size for Caden and a small one for Grady. The shirt has a polar bear on it and says 'Chill Out'...perfect for our family.
That night, we went to a friend's house where we indulged in all kinds of awesome food. We started with pizza, ate pumpkin cake, pound cake, and sugar cookies, then moved to some candy and popcorn while watching a movie. Us girls also painted our nails. Although we couldn't be with our extended families, it was nice to be with close friends who are practically family. We miss the holidays with family, but we are so blessed to have community and love just down the street :o)
A picture of me and my little Santa to finish off the day.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!



No comments:
Post a Comment