Sunday, October 7, 2012

Already a year...

I have to interrupt all of our Thai time and baby time for a little reflection. One year ago today, we stepped foot into our new city. It's so hard to believe we travelled over 27 hours to get over here just after celebrating Caden's first birthday. Now, we are gearing up to celebrate his second birthday. So much has happened in just a year. Sometimes it seems like we've been here much longer and others I'm amazed it's already been a year. We originally planned to come here for just 2 years. That means we would be heading home next July. It's been a year of ups and downs, but the Lord has been so faithful to bring us through every season. I always thought in the back of my head that the Lord would want us to stay longer, but with all the struggles of sickness and culture shock in the last year, it kept me from wanting this. It's been a year of fighting Him and what He wants. It was never a matter of listening. I knew what He wanted. It was a matter of obeying. But I'm so glad I serve a God who doesn't call us into things kicking and screaming. He transforms your heart to want what He wants. Two months before we came to Thailand to have the baby, the Lord gave me a great peace in my heart and I began wanting to stay longer. After much prayer and transparency, we have decided to stay one more year here before heading back to familiar territory. I'm constantly reminded that the Lord never said it would be easy or comfortable, but He does promise an inexpressible peace and that's just what I have. It's truly inexpressible. We look forward to what's ahead and glad that you take interest in all our crazy adventures.

In honor of our year mark, I wanted to reflect on several things that I never thought would happen to us in a short year:

1. We've been on 21 flights (16 while pregnant!)
2. Been in 3 different countries
3. Learned (learning) a second language
4. Learned to cook things from scratch
5. Caden learned to walk, celebrated his first and second birthday in 2 different countries, and speaks in 2 different languages
6. Was pregnant and had a baby overseas
7. Spent more time in the bathroom than most people spend watching TV (ugh, sickness. We were sick a lot!)
8. Spent vacation and celebrated our 4th Anniversary in Phuket; rode an elephant (22 weeks pregnant)
9. Got use to public transportation (mostly buses)
10. Moved apartments 8 months pregnant (I know, a lot of this has to do with pregnancy...but that has affected a lot! I also got the top of my ear pierced 36 weeks pregnant...so funny to me)
11. Britton got a Thai driver's license and drove a stick on the other side of the road
12. Have learned to make a home wherever the Lord puts us

We have truly been blessed in all the Lord has done in our lives. You have read our many struggles and victories, but we rejoice in the Lord's faithfulness to us in this journey. Thanks for following us wherever we seem to go :o) Here's to 2 more years of adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment